Getting Rid Your Building Surfaces of Moss, Mildew and Fungus

The Cleaning PartnersMold, moss, mildew or funguses are naturally growing micro-organisms which multiply in large numbers within a short period of time. They appear in their characteristic blue, green or black colors. Mushrooms, algae and lichens are various forms of the same micro-organism, and their presence or growth depends on the extent of water available in the vicinity. Mold release microscopic spores which travel through air, settle on a new surface to form a new colony of mold cells.

Although mold helps biodegrade natural matter and have several uses, some of them release micro-toxins, which are harmful to human/animal health. Furthermore, the spores cause a wide variety of allergies in people with weak immune systems such as: watery eyes; itchy nose; irritation in the throat; wheezing sensation, asthmatic attack, and neurological disorder in rare cases, where there is repeated exposure.

Whether they are mold, moss, mildew or fungus, they have all one thing in common: these micro-organisms are damage-causing agents – the bane of your building surfaces. They penetrate deep into natural materials used for construction, gradually weakening them and leading to their decay. For all these reasons, getting your building surfaces rid of them all is an important aspect of building maintenance.

Vulnerability of internal and external surfaces to mold and mildew

High humidity facilitates the growth of mold and mildew; however, they can thrive even in cool low-humidity environments with less sunlight. That is the reason why you find mold both within and outside a building. Retaining walls and columns, ceilings and floors, railings and rafters made of concrete, wood, stone or uncovered bricks are highly prone to the growth of mold. Although metal and plastic surfaces are relatively immune to mold-growth, they can also be vulnerable, if they are perennially wet.

Traditional treatment of mold and mildew

Historically, the only way of removing mold from building surfaces other than scrubbing has been the use of bleach or chlorine-based cleaning agents. However, they are not very effective as the spores are just bleached and not really destroyed. Furthermore, exposure to chlorine has its own harmful effects on human health and the environment, not to mention its foul and pungent odor. Newer breed of reagents – both chemical and herbal – are being used these days. However, their effects on human health and environment are not fully known, which adds to the risk.

Power washing as a better solution

Over the last two decades or more, power washing undertaken by industrial cleaning companies has proved to be a lot more effective in eliminating mold. The power washers spray, at moderately high pressures, jets of hot water mixed with mild cleaning agents (cleared by Federal agencies).

These three factors – high pressure spray, hot water and approved mild cleaning agents – together help disintegrate the colony of mold, and destroy the spores completely. The spray guns and other equipment used for this purpose are compact in design. Thus it is easy to reach remote or hard-to-reach corners, unlike the use of chemical cleaning agents and manual scrubbing which have physical limitations.

Industrial cleaning companies: insurance of your property against mold and mildew

Mold and mildew left unchecked can grow rapidly and cause you many risks. In addition to health risks, they affect the aesthetic appearance of your property. This can impact considerably the sale of your property; evaluators are trained to look for mold in specific surfaces.

Sure, you will do well to engage an industrial cleaning company to get rid of mold; that will insure your property against mold-caused damage. Such companies have the necessary expertise, trained personnel, and sophisticated equipment for a long-term solution; that will maximize your ROI (Return on investment) from the cleaning exercise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *